Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chinese Chicken Salad

The following recipe comes from my Mother in-laws kitchen. The wonderful thing about this recipe is it gives you options which is always a good thing. Even if you don't have all of the following ingredient's or just don't like some of the ingredient's it will still taste yummy!!

MIX ALL TOGETHER:
1 head of cabbage (or lettuce) shredded - I always use cabbage
1 sweet red bell pepper, sliced/chopped (yellow, orange or green also work)
2 green onions, sliced
1 tomato, slices or wedges
1 cucumber, peeled/sliced
10-12 olives whole or half, green or black - I have never put these in
1/4 to 1/2 C sliced almonds
Top Ramen Noodles: dry, and crushed or cooked curly pasta called "rotelle"-again I have never put this is but have had it with it in and it's good.
Fresh parsley or cilantro- I was able to get fresh parsley at the farmer's market last weekend for .50 so I used fresh otherwise dry spices work well too.
Cooked chicken/ cooled, in bite-size pieces ie 1 bag of popcorn chicken, chicken nuggets or grilled chicken breasts- I always use chicken nuggets but tonight I'm using left over chicken from last nights dinner.

At last minute....Add dressing:
1/2 C Olive oil
1/3 C Seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 C Sugar
Splash of lemon juice
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1-2 tsp pwdr'd ginger
Optional- 1 tbsp paprika & 1/4 cayenne or dried pepper flakes

No comments:

Eating nutritionally and living naturally on a budget is my vision for my family