Friday, November 16, 2007

Amazing Meatloaf!

I have NEVER been a meatloaf fan...so before you shrug, you must at least try! Last year a friend of mine gave me her meatloaf recipe, Thanks Rachel! I made that recipe a few times and it is good. Which got me thinking...meatloaf isn't as bad as I thought. But, I have been wanting to work on finding more vegetables to hide in it. I am happy to report I have found an amazing meatloaf! I have taken ingredient's from two different recipes to come up with this. I served this with mashed potatoes. The wonderful thing about this meatloaf recipe is you can almost always find the ingredients in your pantry. Well, mine you can.

Meatloaf:
FYI-Not all my measurements where exact.
2lbs of ground beef (I didn't have quite 2lbs)
1 green pepper, chopped
almost 1 small onion, chopped
3/4 cup bread crumbs- Italian or plain
1 egg (which I totally forgot last night and thought I ruined the entire dish!)
1/4 tsp pepper1 tsp salt
1 clove of garlic (I used powder)
1/2 tsp dried mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp dried sage
1/4 cup of ketchup
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese (More would probably work well too)
1/2 cup of carrot puree
Sauce:
1 cup tomato sauce (I used a homemade sauce that had various spices, pureed zucinni, carrots, mushrooms ect)
2 tbsp of brown sugar
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp of dried mustard
1 small can of mushrooms, drained (which I forgot last night but it was in my tomato sauce)
Mix loaf ingredients. Spray baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Drain fat. Spread sauce mixture over loaf and bake for i more hour.

Mashed potatoes: recipe from the Dceptively Delicious cookbook (which I have been LOVING, stronlgy recommend it)
1 pound baking potatoes
1 tsp of salt
1/2 cup cauliflower puree
2 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup of buttermilk
I sort of eyeballed these ingredients

Enjoy, I would love to hear how your loafs turn out!!! FYI- I do not tell the rest of the family these recipe had pureed vegtables in them. One more thing to add....the other night I made lasagne and used my homemade tomatoes sauce and it was yummy, yummy. The best part of all is that know one knows what's hidden in the food they are eating!!!

No comments:

Eating nutritionally and living naturally on a budget is my vision for my family